- Focus on what you are trying to achieve. (Give full and clear instructions)
- Make notes before you meet and bring them to the meeting. (Be prepared)
- Show your lawyer any documents which you think might be relevant to the matter. (Be honest and lawful)
- Let your lawyer know if you do not understand anything said to you. (Ask questions)
- Keep notes of your meeting with your lawyer. (Keep your own case file)
- Think carefully about what your lawyer has said to you and make sure that the advice given suits your circumstances.
- Trust your lawyer and follow their instructions.
Understand the fees and costs and keep in contact. Do not hide details for fear of embarrassment it is important to let the lawyer know all the details upfront in order to give you accurate advice.
Remember, your communications with your lawyer are confidential. lawsociety.com.au/../Howtohelpyoursolicitor
* A lawyer in the USA is called a solicitor in the UK.
We are not sure which term is best and like most people in Australia we use either.